Rebiject II is an autoinjector designed for use with Rebif® (interferon beta-1a). The Rebiject II autoinjector is designed to automate the Rebif injection. For people who prefer not to see the needle when injecting, the Rebiject II keeps the needle hidden both before and after injecting. It is for use only with Rebif premeasured, prefilled glass syringes and is available exclusively for Rebif users. Rebiject II is available free of charge through MS LifeLines®. Call 1-877-447-3243 Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 8 PM ET and weekends from 9 AM to 5 PM ET.
You should only use the Rebiject II autoinjector after you have received proper training from a medical professional. The MS LifeLines Nurse Network may be able to provide injection training to you in the comfort of your home. Call 1-877-44-REBIF (1-877-447-3243) to learn more. For an injection refresher, watch an injection training video, which you can find on this webpage.
Please see important safety information below and the Rebif Medication Guide and Prescribing Information at the top of this website, and speak with your health care professional for more information. For complete injection instructions, please refer to the Instructions for Use that comes with the Rebiject II.
How to use Rebiject II
Check that the gray needle cap remover is completely attached to the end of the needle depth adjuster.
Prepare the injector plunger.
Insert the Rebif syringe into the syringe housing.
Hold the syringe housing on a flat, hard surface. Align the dark yellow round end of the device plunger to the gray needle cap remover. Push the injector body down until it can go no further and you hear a "click." The injector plunger is now set. Do not remove the gray needle cap remover or the syringe plunger.
Note: The Rebiject II is pre-set to administer an injection 10 mm (3/8 inch) into the skin when the setting reads [>>>]. If your health care professional directs you to change the depth setting, follow the instructions in the Maintenance and Troubleshooting Guide section of Instructions for Use, which is provided with your Rebiject II autoinjector. You can also call MS LifeLines at 1-877-447-3243, Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 10 PM ET and weekends from 9 AM to 5 PM ET.
- Hold the syringe housing firmly on a flat surface.
- Insert the Rebif syringe, needle cap end first, into the syringe housing. Be sure to keep the needle cap on the syringe.
- Using gentle pressure, guide the syringe into the syringe housing until one to three "clicks" are heard.
- The syringe is now locked in the housing.
Screw syringe housing and injector body together.
Pull the needle cap remover from the syringe housing.
Dispose of the needle cap, but keep the needle cap remover for subsequent injections.
Prepare and perform the injection.
- Choose your injection site as directed by your health care professional. Refer to the Medication Guide (PDF) for injection-site selection and additional tips.
- Prepare your injection site as directed by your health care professional.
- Place the Rebiject II lightly against your skin so that you can see the indicator window.
- Apply light pressure so the injector body moves downward toward the syringe housing. This releases the safety lock so that the release button can be pressed.
Press the injector release button and continue to hold Rebiject II in place on your skin for at least 10 seconds. The contents will be automatically injected.
Check the indicator window.
You will see a series of black lines moving against a yellow background. Once the injection is complete, the lines will have stopped moving.
Lift the Rebiject II from the skin, and gently massage the injection site with a dry cotton ball.
This helps to disperse the medication.
Disassemble the Rebiject II.
- Unscrew the syringe housing from the injector body.
- The syringe needle will now be exposed. Be careful when handling.
- Remove the syringe from the syringe housing.
- Dispose of the empty needle and syringe properly in the syringe disposal container.*
*Regulations for disposal vary. Consult your doctor or pharmacist for regulations in your area.
Reattach the needle cap remover and the needle depth adjustor, and store Rebiject II in its case.
- Remember to clean your Rebiject II prior to storing. Rebiject II may be cleaned by wiping with a damp cloth if needed. Do not use soap or place in boiling water, microwave or autoclave.
Keep a record of the date and injection site in your treatment journal
Check recent injection sites for redness, swelling or tenderness. Contact your health care professional about any skin reaction that does not clear up in a few days. You can also contact an MS LifeLines Nurse Support Specialist, who can give you tips that may help manage these reactions.
Contact your doctor, nurse, other health care professional, or MS LifeLines toll-free at 1-877-447-3243 Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 10 PM ET and Saturday and Sunday from 9 AM to 5 PM ET if:
- You are unsure about any of these steps.
- Rebiject II autoinjector is not working properly.
- You cannot perform the injection using Rebiject II.
At MS LifeLines, a live representative answers every call, day or night.
Maintenance and troubleshooting
- If you receive less than the prescribed dose using the Rebiject II autoinjector or experience any difficulties using the device, contact your doctor, nurse or other health care professional for instruction.
- The Rebiject II autoinjector may be cleaned by wiping it with a damp cloth, if needed. Do not use soap. In addition, the Rebiject II autoinjector should not be placed in boiling water, a microwave or an autoclave.
- Never store a loaded Rebiject II autoinjector.
- In the unlikely event of failure of the Rebiject II autoinjector, please contact MS LifeLines at 1-877-447-3243. They will supply you with a replacement.
Every effort has been made to ensure that the Rebiject II will function correctly for at least two years. After two years of operation, your Rebiject II should be replaced. A new Rebiject II can be obtained by calling MS LifeLines toll-free at 1-877-447-3243 Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 10 PM ET and Saturday and Sunday from 9 AM to 5 PM ET.
Warnings and safety precautions
- Do not inject yourself using Rebiject II autoinjector until you have been properly trained by a doctor, nurse or other health care professional.
- Rebiject II autoinjector must only be used with your prescribed prefilled glass syringes of Rebif and should not be used with any other brand of interferon or medication.
- Do not share Rebiject II autoinjector with anyone. Doing so may result in injury and/or the transmission of infectious blood-borne diseases. Adhere to strict safety and antiseptic precautions at all times.
- Always keep Rebiject II autoinjector and Rebif out of the reach of children.
- Do not operate or store the Rebiject II autoinjector with an empty syringe.
- Do not point the Rebiject II autoinjector at yourself or others when loading the syringe or at any other time.
For more information about the Rebiject II autoinjector, call MS LifeLines toll-free at 1-877-447-3243, Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 10 PM ET and Saturday and Sunday from 9 AM to 5 PM ET. For complete instructions on the use of the Rebiject II autoinjector, please refer to the instructions that came with it.
Regulations for needle disposal vary. Consult your physician or pharmacist for the regulations in your area.
Rebif is used to treat relapsing forms of MS to decrease the frequency of relapses and delay the occurrence of some of the physical disability that is common in people with MS. Rebif is not approved for treatment of chronic progressive MS.
Please see important safety information below and the Rebif Medication Guide and Prescribing Information at the top of this website, and speak with your doctor for more information.